March 1, 2017
Comprehensive Community Hospice of Parker Jewish Institute for Health Care and Rehabilitation has been selected to participate in the Medicare Care Choices Model. The model provides Medicare beneficiaries who qualify for coverage under the Medicare Hospice Benefit and dually eligible beneficiaries who qualify for the Medicaid Hospice Benefit the option to elect to receive supportive care services typically provided by hospice and continue to receive curative services at the same time. This is part of a larger effort at HHS to transform our health care system to deliver better care, spend our dollars in a smarter way, and
put patients in the center of their care.
The model is expected to enable as many as 150,000 eligible Medicare beneficiaries with advanced cancers, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure, human immunodeficiency virus/ acquired immunodeficiency syndrome who receive services from participating hospices to experience this new option and flexibility. Participating hospices will provide services under the model that are currently available under the Medicare hospice benefit for routine home care and respite levels of care, but cannot be separately billed under Medicare Parts A, B, and D.
Services will be available around the clock, 365 calendar days per year and CMS will pay a per beneficiary per month fee ranging from $200 to $400 to participating hospices when delivering these services under the model. Services will begin starting January 1, 2016 for the first phase of participating hospices and in January 2018 for the remaining participating hospices.
Individuals who wish to receive services under the model must fall into certain categories:
- Must be diagnosed with certain terminal illnesses (e.g., advanced cancers, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure and human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency syndrome);
- Must meet hospice eligibility requirements under the Medicare or Medicaid Hospice Benefit;
- Must not have elected the Medicare or Medicaid Hospice Benefit within the last 30 days prior to their participation in the Medicare Care Choices Model;
- Must receive services from a hospice that is participating in the model; and
- Must have satisfied other eligibility criteria within the model.
For further information, please contact us at 1-877-727-5373, 718-289-2800 or ParkerCare@parkerinstitute.org
271-11 76th Avenue, New Hyde Park, New York 11040-1433 | Tel: 877-727-5373 • 718-289-2100 • 516-247-6500 | Fax: 718-289-2245