Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands
Whether you are a friend or a family member, caring for an older adult can be a challenge. The Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands program is dedicated to easing the many burdens associated with being a caregiver of an older adult.
Our trained volunteers provide assistance for family caregivers, allowing you time to meet your own needs and obligations. The volunteers of Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands provide the care and supervision your loved one needs…on a schedule designed to allow you the time, personal space and freedom that is essential for healthy living.
If you are a caregiver who could use some ‘helpful hands’ simply complete the Caregiver Application HERE or call the Caregiver HelpLine at 516-586-1507 to learn more.
Opportunities to Participate in Clinical Research Study
While Alzheimer’s disease can be devastating to patients, families, and their caregivers, clinical trials are looking at new ways to fight this disease and are great opportunities to participate and make a difference.
Hope Through Research
The Rethink-ALZ trial is now open to qualifying participants. The trials last for 52 weeks. If you enroll into this trial, you will receive either the oral study drug or placebo twice a day. A placebo looks like the study drug but has no impact on the person taking it. There is no cost to the patient to participate in the Rethink-ALZ trial or for any of the study-related procedures. No hospitalization is required. If you or a loved one are interested in participating in one of these studies, the following criteria must be met:
- Be ages 50 to 87 years old.
- Be diagnosed with, or have a suspected clinical diagnosis of, Alzheimer’s disease.
- Have a gradual change in memory for six months or more.
- Have a family member or loved one who can be available as a study partner during the entire study.
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have had a previous COVID-19 infection.
Other criteria will apply.
Paving a Better Future
Agitation associated with Alzheimer’s dementia can be difficult to manage and can be very challenging for patients and their loved ones. The ASPECTTM clinical research study is evaluating an investigational drug for agitation associated with Alzheimer’s dementia and participants are needed. Participants will not have to pay for the study drug (the investigational drug or placebo), study supplies, study visits, or study tests. Health insurance is not required. To be eligible, participants must:
- Be between the ages of 50 and 90.
- Have a diagnosis of probable Alzheimer’s dementia.
- Have moderate-to-severe agitation that interferes with their daily life.
- Have a reliable caregiver who is able to comply with all study procedures
.Other criteria will apply.