Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands
Would you like to help seniors in your community?
The Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands program needs you!
This is an opportunity for you to make a difference in your community by helping family caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias throughout Long Island. Willing Hearts, Helpful Hands is a unique program that helps caregivers keep loved ones in the comfort of their own homes for as long as possible and eases the stress associated with being a caregiver. Volunteers will receive free ongoing training.
To find out how to lend your helpful hands, Click Here.
Opportunities to Participate in Clinical Research Study
While Alzheimer’s disease can be devastating to patients, families, and their caregivers, clinical trials are looking at new ways to fight this disease and are great opportunities to participate and make a difference.
Hope Through Research
The Rethink-ALZ trial is now open to qualifying participants. The trials last for 52 weeks. If you enroll into this trial, you will receive either the oral study drug or placebo twice a day. A placebo looks like the study drug but has no impact on the person taking it. There is no cost to the patient to participate in the Rethink-ALZ trial or for any of the study-related procedures. No hospitalization is required. If you or a loved one are interested in participating in one of these studies, the following criteria must be met:
- Be ages 50 to 87 years old.
- Be diagnosed with, or have a suspected clinical diagnosis of, Alzheimer’s disease.
- Have a gradual change in memory for six months or more.
- Have a family member or loved one who can be available as a study partner during the entire study.
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have had a previous COVID-19 infection.
Other criteria will apply.
Paving a Better Future
Agitation associated with Alzheimer’s dementia can be difficult to manage and can be very challenging for patients and their loved ones. The ASPECTTM clinical research study is evaluating an investigational drug for agitation associated with Alzheimer’s dementia and participants are needed. Participants will not have to pay for the study drug (the investigational drug or placebo), study supplies, study visits, or study tests. Health insurance is not required. To be eligible, participants must:
- Be between the ages of 50 and 90.
- Have a diagnosis of probable Alzheimer’s dementia.
- Have moderate-to-severe agitation that interferes with their daily life.
- Have a reliable caregiver who is able to comply with all study procedures
.Other criteria will apply.