Parker Health Spotlight Archive
For Your Better Health - February 2024
February is National Heart Health Month!
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. However, it can easily be prevented by making healthier choices. Healthy habits make a real difference.
Take control of your heart health today with these healthy tips:
- Being more active. Aim for at least 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
- Getting enough sleep. Sleeping recharges your brain. Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Eating healthier. Small changes in your eating habits can make a big difference. Add more vegetables, fruits, and grains to your meals – focus on portion size.
- Quit smoking. Cigarettes & tobacco increases the risk of heart disease and hear tattack.
- Know your levels. High blood pressure and high cholesterol are major risk factors.
- Managing stress. Staying calm and relaxed is key to managing your stress. Try meditating, exercising, listening to music, reading a book, journaling, or even yoga!
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight increases your risk for high blood pressure and diabetes which can lead to heart disease.
- Stick to the script. Sticking to your medication routine helps manage and control conditions that could put your heart at risk.