Parker Health Spotlight Archive
For Your Better Health - January 2023
January is Thyroid Awareness Month, a time to learn how the thyroid plays a huge role in the body’s organs and overall health.
Here are some helpful facts about the Thyroid and tips to prevent Thyroid disease:
- The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland at base of the neck that produces thyroid hormones; these influence how all other cells, tissues, and organs function.
- It's estimated that over 30 million Americans have thyroid dysfunction, with half of these cases are undiagnosed and left untreated.
- A simple blood test & exam can help diagnose Hypothyroidism& Hyperthyroidism, & early detection for cancer. If you have any symptoms, speak to your doctor to check your thyroid function.
- With a proper diagnosis, thyroid dysfunction can be successfully treated so you can enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
- Maintain a healthy diet that’s low in sugar and processed foods.
- Reduce your stress. Try to exercise more, meditate, do yoga, or listen to a podcast.
- Maintain a healthy body weight, if possible – increase your muscle mass.